Level: 1
HP: 0 / 18
0 / 18
MP: 8 / 8
8 / 8
EXP: 2 / 10
2 / 10

Sterne der Treue:
Sterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der Treue
Barvermögen:

Sagte Danke: 0
Bekam Bedankungen:
0 mal in 0 Post.

Beitrag Mi Mär 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Thema: Long Scroller Problem
It seems that long scrollers just don't appear and if you use copper effect on them you can see a rectangle with copper effect in place of the scroller, no text. Can someone help me with this problem? I'll be thankful.

My PC Specs:
System:Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Processor:Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
RAM:1GB
Graphics Card:NVidia GeForce 7300 GT

And something that might be important:
OSDM version:2.01.140

Please help.
And if it's in the wrong section then sorry. Also i am bad at Deutsch language.
<<

RoySAC

500+ POSTS
500+ POSTS

- MORE USERINFOS -

Level: 22
HP: 77 / 1106
77 / 1106
MP: 528 / 528
528 / 528
EXP: 600 / 633
600 / 633

Sterne der Treue:
Sterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der Treue
Barvermögen:

Sagte Danke: 66
Bekam Bedankungen:
172 mal in 121 Posts.

Beitrag Di Apr 06, 2010 11:03 am

Thema: Re: Long Scroller Problem
Since the most post of this thread got lost during the transfer of the forums to a new server, I am posting all the posts that I could find in my feed reader backup into this single post.

TomoAlien hat geschrieben:
RoySAC hat geschrieben:Aha, another one who experiences the same thing. And somebody with a NVidia GFX card and not an ATI.
Thanks for your comment. The developers of OSDM are aware of the problem, but have not figured out yet what the cause of it is. The issue is only affecting a few PC's. It's usually running fine. Your information will help them to further narrow into this issue.

The issue only occurs, if the scroller exceeds a certain number of characters. That number differs by font size. The limits are as following

08 pixels Font 512 Characters
16 pixels Font 256 Characters
32 pixels Font 128 Characters

Thanks for info, but on my machine the 8 pixel font limit is 256 for some reason, but the 16 and 32 limit is right. That's a extremely bizarre bug.

Forgot to mention that my Graphics Card RAM is 256MB

About the 8 pixels font limit on your machine is interesting. Are you sure that it is only 256? I created some test intros to figure out the exact limits on my machine. I first assumed that the limit did not coralate with the font size and that it is always the same until I tested it specifically. e.g. created 6 scroll texts, 8 px no-copper, 8 px copper, 16 px no-copper, 16 px copper, 32 px no copper and 32 px copper and then added different lengths of scroll text to each of them, e.g. 127 charcters, 128 chrs and 129 chrs etc. Btw. it does not matter if the content of the scroller are spaces or control codes (^X commands), every character matters.

You obviously noticed yourself already, that the copper effect is being rendered, even if the scroll text is too long and the actual font isn't being rendered. I have not tested yet, if control codes are being executed or not, below the majic border and also beyond (e.g. a control code in a 32px scroller before character 128 and another one after char 128.

I assumed that the issue is somehow releated with memory or address space, which would explain the proportional nature of the issue (the larger the font, the less characters needed to cause the problem).

Threre is also another issue somewhat similar in nature with OSDM that I experience, but most others do not and that is the limit in size of Sprite, Bounce Bob and Logo frame animations. It won't be played back/rendered on my machine, if the width or the height of the frame animation image exceeds 4000 pixels. As I said, it obviously works fine on other machines (You already discovered the BETA discussion thread, there are some intro examples attached to some of the posts where this problem occurs). You can also test it yourself by creating a frame animation.

Download this horizontal animation for example
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cumbrowski ... 466436006/

Use it with the sprites effect. Reduce the enabled sprites from "8" to "1" to avoid that the file size of the animation becomes the issue, although you should be able to enable up to 3 sprites including this anim without problems. Lets see, if it is rendered or not.

If it is not, then the problems might be related.
_

RoySAC hat geschrieben:Download this horizontal animation for example
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cumbrowski ... 466436006/

Use it with the sprites effect. Reduce the enabled sprites from "8" to "1" to avoid that the file size of the animation becomes the issue, although you should be able to enable up to 3 sprites including this anim without problems. Lets see, if it is rendered or not.

If it is not, then the problems might be related.

This twister animation is garbled when displayed in OSDM.
Same goes for the animation on the left in OSDM_GOn.ini included intro.

Peace hat geschrieben:Hello & Welcome TomoAlien

displaying of scroller (copper FX) and animations are known problems in OSDM (not only). As already noted by Roy/SAC it's also a problem of the used video card! So It's hard for me to discover an error which doesn't occur in my tests!

Bobo did a german notice about the use of large (to large) pictures as well, but it's not avail at time

If you want, try a cut off example of the Jizzy Twister, frames reduced to 19 only, looks not quite kewl as before but could be a solution, hope so...

Bild

Download: Jiz Twister http://testaware.bplaced.net/Download/Jiz_Twister.rar

regards, Peace

This shorter version works.

This is how OSDM_GOn.ini looks on my computer:
Bild
The weirdest part is that the garbled sprite shows what's on the whole screen but in garbled manner.
In this picture it's this icon:

Bild
EDIT:
I noticed that scroller limit is not in the sinus scroller effect. So i can type a very long scroller in sinus scroller without problem, but in normal scroller i can't. Very weird.

inc hat geschrieben:
peace hat geschrieben:
TomoAlien hat geschrieben:I noticed that scroller limit is not in the sinus scroller effect. So i can type a very long scroller in sinus scroller without problem, but in normal scroller i can't. Very weird.

OK, detect the problem with large scroller and can be fixed, but I don't think in comming update coz must complete recode the routines

that sounds good at least u found it. . .
Cheers!

Carsten aka Roy/SAC
Web Site | YouTube | My OSDM Intros | OSDM Group @ Vimeo

Bild
<<

Wildcop

300+ POSTS
300+ POSTS

- MORE USERINFOS -

Level: 17
HP: 18 / 630
18 / 630
MP: 301 / 301
301 / 301
EXP: 350 / 372
350 / 372

Sterne der Treue:
Sterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der Treue
Barvermögen:

Sagte Danke: 216
Bekam Bedankungen:
47 mal in 27 Posts.

Beitrag Di Apr 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi TomoAlien / Roy,

Einglish:

what you can still taste it occurs is to convert the font file to BMP format and then invites the OSDM and looks like a lot of charsets you can then write to the effect on the Copper!
Yes I know that a BMP file is actually larger but transforms according to Bobo PureBasic the PNG file in memory, and thus won the BMP format, and thus would have been like if it does load in BMP format, but like the little storage space
in addition, PureBasic / OSDM the BMP format better for packing the finished executable file.
that you could possibly try out for Sprite and logo anims.

Sorry for my bad english.

Deutsch:

Was ihr noch probieren könnt ist das ihr die Font Datei ins BMP Format umwandelt und dann in den OSDM ladet und schaut wie viel Charsets ihr dann schreiben könnt bis der Effekt mit dem Copper auf tritt !
Ja ich weiß das ein BMP Datei eigentlich größer ist aber laut Bobo wandelt PureBasic das PNG Datei im Speicher sowie so ins BMP Format um und somit hätte man wenn man es gleich im BMP Format laden tut doch wie der etwas Speicher platz gewonnen
außerdem kann PureBasic / OSDM das BMP Format besser Packen für die fertige Executable Datei.
Das könntet ihr eventuell auch für Sprite und Logo Anims Ausprobieren.

Grüße
WildCop
aka
Bild

Feel free to use it!
But pleace give a littel Bit Credit!
Wildcops Comic-Galerie
<<

TomoAlien

ToTaL N0OB
ToTaL N0OB

- MORE USERINFOS -

Level: 1
HP: 0 / 18
0 / 18
MP: 8 / 8
8 / 8
EXP: 2 / 10
2 / 10

Sterne der Treue:
Sterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der TreueSterne der Treue
Barvermögen:

Sagte Danke: 0
Bekam Bedankungen:
0 mal in 0 Post.

Beitrag Di Apr 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Wildcop hat geschrieben:Hi TomoAlien / Roy,

Einglish:

what you can still taste it occurs is to convert the font file to BMP format and then invites the OSDM and looks like a lot of charsets you can then write to the effect on the Copper!
Yes I know that a BMP file is actually larger but transforms according to Bobo PureBasic the PNG file in memory, and thus won the BMP format, and thus would have been like if it does load in BMP format, but like the little storage space
in addition, PureBasic / OSDM the BMP format better for packing the finished executable file.
that you could possibly try out for Sprite and logo anims.

Sorry for my bad english.

Deutsch:

Was ihr noch probieren könnt ist das ihr die Font Datei ins BMP Format umwandelt und dann in den OSDM ladet und schaut wie viel Charsets ihr dann schreiben könnt bis der Effekt mit dem Copper auf tritt !
Ja ich weiß das ein BMP Datei eigentlich größer ist aber laut Bobo wandelt PureBasic das PNG Datei im Speicher sowie so ins BMP Format um und somit hätte man wenn man es gleich im BMP Format laden tut doch wie der etwas Speicher platz gewonnen
außerdem kann PureBasic / OSDM das BMP Format besser Packen für die fertige Executable Datei.
Das könntet ihr eventuell auch für Sprite und Logo Anims Ausprobieren.

Grüße

I tried your method out and it tells me that file is too big when in BMP.

Zurück zu DEMOS/INTROS/QUESTIONS